Military Records
and State Memorials

War records in Massachusetts

Veterans discharged to Massachusetts can obtain a copy of their military records by contacting the Military War Records Office of the Adjutant General. The Military War Records Office has converted all records to electronic format for easier access. Restricted online access to military records is available for authorized users, such as Veterans’ Service Officers and funeral directors. Users are required to have a user ID and password in order to access military records. Visit the website to request a user ID and password.

Contact Information

Military War Records Office
Office of the Adjutant General
50 Maple Street
Milford, MA 01757
(508) 233-7780
Fax: (508) 233-7785

National Personnel Records Center

The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR), is the repository of millions of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services since 1900. NPRC also stores medical treatment records of retirees from all services, as well as records for dependent and other persons treated at naval medical facilities. Information from the records is available upon written request (with signature and date) to the extent allowed by law.

To obtain military records
Visit the National Personnel Records Center website at:

Veterans or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran may now use vetrecs.archives.gov to order a copy of military records. For all others, your request is best made using a Standard Form 180. To obtain this form visit the NPRC website (see above for URL) or call DVS and request a copy: (617) 210-5480.

All requests must be in writing, signed, and mailed to the address shown below.

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Requests for military personnel records or information from them cannot be accepted by email at this time. The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S. ch. 552a) and Department of Defense directives require a written request, signed and dated, to access information from military personnel records.

To obtain clinical and medical treatment records
Clinical and medical treatment records are filed at the National Personnel Records Center by the name of the facility that last had responsibility for the records. Therefore, in order to request information from medical records, you must provide the following information:

  • Name of the last facility that had responsibility for the treatment record. Usually this is the last facility at which treatment was provided;
  • The year and the type of treatment (inpatient, outpatient, dental, mental health, etc.). If you need copies of specific records, please be sure to state the type of illness, injury, or treatment involved;
  • The patient’s full name used during treatment;
  • The patient’s Social Security number and status during treatment (military, retiree, dependent of military, federal employee, dependent, or other [specify]);
  • Branch of service and sponsor’s service number or Social Security number (if the former patient is/was a dependent);
  • Please provide as much information as possible, it may not be possible to locate a record if important identifying information is missing.

For medical records of separated/retired military personnel and Navy/Marine Corps dependents, send request to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

For medical records of Air Force, Coast Guard, or Army dependents, send request to:

National Personnel Records Center
Civilian Personnel Records
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, MO 63118-4126

Note: Veterans who plan to file a claim for medical benefits with the VA do not need to request a copy of their military health record from the NPRC. When you file a VA claim, the VA will request the records automatically, as part of the claims process.

Contact Information

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Email: MPR.center@nara.gov

How can I change my military records and discharge rating?

Each of the military services maintains a discharge review board with authority to change, correct, or modify discharges or dismissals that are not issued by a sentence of a general courts-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges.

If you were discharged within the past 15 years, fill out and submit “DD Form 293: Application for Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States.” If your discharge was more than 15 years ago, fill out “DD Form 149: Application for Correction of Military Records” and submit it to the review board agency of your branch of service. The contact information for the review boards of all branches of service is listed on both forms.

Your local Veterans’ Service Officer or the nearest Vet Center has copies of these forms and can help you fill them out.

Getting authorization for medals you earned

Veterans can quickly determine which medals they earned by examining their military discharge forms (DD-214, WD 53-35, NAVPERS, etc). Listed on the forms are all the medals the final military unit deemed the veteran was authorized to possess at the time of discharge.

Veterans may request replacement of medals which have been lost, stolen, destroyed or rendered unfit through no fault of the recipient. Requests may also be filed for awards that were earned but, for any reason, were never issued to the service member. The next-of-kin of deceased veterans may also make the request.

Use “Standard Form 180: Request Pertaining to Military Records” when applying.

For more information or assistance, contact your local Veterans’ Service Officer at City/Town Hall.

State Memorials

World War II
Battleship Cove is home to the Massachusetts’ official memorial to all Bay Staters killed in service to their nation during World War II. Located on board the USS Massachusetts, this memorial symbolizes the eternal gratitude of a proud Commonwealth and nation.

Battleship Cove
Five Water Street
P.O. Box 111
Fall River, MA 02722-0111
(508) 678-1100
1-800-533-3194 (Within New England)

Korean War Memorial
The Massachusetts Korean War Memorial is in the Charlestown Navy Yard. The memorial honors the over 1,200 Massachusetts veterans who died in Korea.

Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial
The Massachusetts Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial, in Green Hill Park, Worcester, was given and dedicated by a grateful Commonwealth to the honor and sacrifice of all its citizens who served in the armed forces of the United States of America from1955-75. The memorial was dedicated in 2002 at a ceremony that paid special tribute to those whose names are inscribed on the memorial, as well as honored all Vietnam veterans.

Massachusetts Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial
Green Hill Park
50 Skyline Drive
Worcester, MA 01605
(508) 799-1041